Updates + A Discourse on Studying Based on my Perspective


Classes were suspended midday since there was a storm brewing in. Oh well.
We also had our exams today (and yesterday). The easiest would be.. tenen! Mathematics! Which is really weird. The hardest two would be English (honestly, I had a mental block.. I underestimated it because I'm used to the "application" style exams), and Religion (ohoho). Social Studies/Economics was fairly easy, along with the rest.. but I don't want to get my hopes too high. (p.s. my English is going bad at the moment, please excuse that ahaha)

I think that having a tendency to cram during exams is pretty much like masochism because it stresses me out on purpose and that pushes me to study. I honestly don't like being forced to study unless I am interested to learn. (I usually am, but it really depends on the subject)
Like this whole "road to becoming a polygot" trend; No one is telling me to study Japanese, Italian, Chinese, etc., but since I'm interested enough to learn, I try my best to study diligently. And look at me now.. I basically know 170+ syllables from various languages (Asian and old Philippine script) and know some words from a few European languages. These may not be much of an achievement to many, but I'm still proud to say that I've had the patience and time to memorize them.

Now, back to the topic. I honestly dislike studying for exams because at some point I feel like I am being underestimated (but this is not always the case). The line "I understood what the teacher taught us... why would I have to review this all over again?" keeps on repeating in the back of my mind. "What is the point of reviewing if you don't understand anything in the end?"
I despise some people who try to learn by memorizing. It's not that I'm saying memorizing is bad (since you need it in your everyday life!) but one can't possibly learn just by memorizing; he should understand what he's trying to learn. If you were asked to memorize a long, 10-paragraph speech, the outcome would be lifeless if you simply memorize everything and not know what the whole speech is about. Same goes to studying.

What is your motive to study?

The youth today question the very reason why we are asked to study. Most of them lose interest because they are unaware of the advantages of learning and thus, they would not prioritize it as much as they would to other senseless things. Let's admit that studying isn't simply acquiring knowledge unless there is the will to learn. The reason why I take interest in studying is because I want to be able to answer questions that I get from people and from myself. I don't want to end up being clueless about something worth knowing. This simple reason is interconnected with other aspects, such as how I could help the community in the future, and etc.
My friends are like this as well. They aren't just studying for the grades and honors, they're studying because they know they will be the primary beneficiaries of this painstaking process, and that the effort they are putting into this won't be easily wasted in the near future. I have a feeling that this is an objective they haven't noticed yet. Though this is the case, who am I to conclude?
When one is motivated enough to study, then he is willing to learn. What motivates you?

okay so I don't know where I'm actually going with this post ahahaha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INTP or INTJ?

One close look at an INTJ